Saturday 16 February 2013

Bowtie week!

So this week I had a little fashion project; bow tie week. I decided that every day for a week I'd try to work a bow tie into my outfit. Honestly it was more difficult than I expected but it was fun nonetheless! I received a lot of positive comments and compliments on them throughout the week.
I borrowed several clip-on bow ties from my friend apart from the first one which is my own and I had to tie it myself (not an easy feat!). I'll also include pics and  comments on each of the outfits! I generally tend to wear bow ties as an accessory like a necklace but on two of the days I made an effort to wear a collared shirt. I found it quite odd  wearing it buttoned right up to the top to accommodate the bow tie!

Day 1
I don't have a full body shot from day 1 as no one was there to take it for me! As I said I wore my own self-tie dickie to accessorise my blue outfit. I teamed a navy tank top with my self slashed skirt. The skirt was a stripy wrap-around I got in a market in Portugal a few years back. I cut the ends in a zigzag to create a layered and levelled effect. To complete the outfit I added teal over the knee socks and my brown high cut cons. The only other accessory were my pink button earrings!

Day 2
today was a high collar day. This purple shirt is one of my favourites, its such a vibrant colour and the sheerness means it can be sexy if you feel like it. Today I wore a tweed bow tie that I borrowed from my besty Sean. The blue skirt is new, it claims to be a/wear but I got it in the Debenhams sale for just 4euro! The fabric is super shiny and I got several compliments on the pleats. I loved that it was shorter at the front and longer at the back-a common cut this season. Because of the brightness of the top and skirt I kept the legs simple with black tights and the black and grey leg warmers.

Day 3
This outfit was outside of my comfort zone as I don't generally wear jeans or buttoned shirts and today I was wearing both! I wore jeans mostly because it was lashing and I didn't wanna be cold! They used to be one of my favourites as I love red and they're a kinda groovy snakeskin pattern. The shirt is something new-ish and I like the dual tones and the unusual shaping.  Today's bow tie was purple with little silver flecks and I thought it actually worked awesomely with the outfit! I wore my blue high-rise cons and styled my hair like a 50s housewife because it was wet and I wanted it outta my eyes.

Day 4
So day 4 of my bow tie adventure was Valentine's Day so I saved a red bow tie especially for the occasion! I've already featured my valentines outfit so I won't go over it again! I later added loveheart facepaint for going out!

Day 5
Day 5 was a bit of a disaster. Having been up late on Valentine's Day I was in a tearing rush on the morning of my final bow tie day. As a result I don't have a picture of what I wore! The last bow tie was a very slim grey bow tie that I thought was really versatile. I didn't get a chance to photograph things in the evening either because of a family occasion but I did get a friend to take a few snaps when I was in college to document the bow tie!

Overall I really enjoyed bow tie week and I think the bow tie is definitely an accessory I'd like to utilise more often. It's unusual on women and adds a quirky dimension to any outfit.
A huge thank you to my besty Sean who very kindly shared his spectacular selection of bow ties with me for this project!