Sunday 3 February 2013

Bags that have been places

I haven't done a lot of stuff yet on customising because I've been busy with college work so I've been mostly just wearing things I've already made (and here's one I made earlier!). I thought I'd so a quick feature on how to make an ordinary rucksack into something a little quirkier!
Tips first! The best thing you can do if you want to be creative is make sure you have supplies for when the mood strikes you! I have a box of what my mum fondly refers to as 'junk'; ribbons, beads, buttons badges, patches and scraps of fabric! I collect sew-on/iron-on patches every time I travel so I have little mementos of the places I've been. If not I like to use badges. Most places you go you can find little button badges for a euro or less each. These are a good size because if they break you can always sew on a button and glue the badge front to the button. A lot of my badges are found items or were picked up in bags of freebies at various events I've been to so not all of them have a huge relevance to my personality but they add colour and texture and most of them are aesthetically pleasing! Another great way to quirk up a bag is with scrap fabric; for instance I used a lace panel that I had left over from a customised top. I also used orange fabric to  create a little flower. It's simple; cut out equal sized flower shapes and layer them before using a star shaped stitch in the centre to hold them in place.