Wednesday 23 January 2013

SHAPES

Right so I don't have access to any photos on my laptop at the minute so unfortunately I cant get cracking on a post about how to customise clothes or a style update, instead I'm gonna talk about SHAPES. (ooh-ah excitingggg!) I'm an hourglass girl and have been since the day my hormones kicked in! This was majorly frustrating for me when I first got into fashion. I started designing and customising clothes when I was thirteen but most of the styles and looks I found stunning and inspiring from the catwalk and the Internet were quite simply not suited to my body type. High necked tops and dress, baggy hippy skirts or chunky knits were incredibly unflattering. The difficulty with my shape was the thing that got me started making and editing my clothes because I didn't fit the things I wanted to buy on the high street. Unlike a lot of Irish girls I have a big 'ol booty and buying jeans was hell! Similarly I have athletic shoulders and a bust out of proportion with my waist so baggy shirts just made me look heavy. There will always be a little part of me that wants to be one of those tall, slender boyish body types simply for the clothing options but I have to thank my genetics for giving me all this trouble or I wouldn't be the person I am. I cant encourage people enough to wear what makes you happy-if you feel good in it you'll look awesome. Just like your body type you have to own your style and just be confident in it or you'll never pull it off.
Another quick note on shapes is that if you are chopping and changing your clothes is that they are CRUCIAL. If you wanna have something no one else has the way to go is with crazy shapes and cut outs. Every time a new style hits the shops its the new shape, the new cut. We'd all still be wearing flares if someone hadn't decided that skinny was a good shape for jeans. (and those of us like myself who are of the stumpy-legged persuasion know that flares needed to go!). Scissors are your friends (just don't run with them!) if you have old t-shirts, jeans, skirts or especially  shirts a few strategic snips can transform them and most of the time you don't even need to finish the ends with sewing (besides some of us like that rough-and-ready look thank-you!).
Right I think that's it for today-like I said just a quicky! From next week I'll be posting semi-regularly with photos and little tidbits of customising wisdom. Subscribe if ya like what I'm putting out here on the interweb-adoodle.!