Wednesday 23 January 2013

not so semi-formal

A fashion anecdote; at the start of my second term of college, I was invited to a special ceremony for people who'd achieved high marks in their exams. When I read the invite on the morning (already dressed for the day at college) I realised it said 'semi-formal'. Now any time I've been to an event  of that dress code it's been not too dressy (it wasn't like a debs or something besides it was at half five in the afternoon-hardly evening wear) so I figured that I wasn't dressed too scruffily for college so what I was wearing was probably fine. How wrong I was... all the boys were in suits and the girls were in nice skirts and tops. My parents were even dressed up for it. I like to think the vice-provost of my college appreciated my creative streak when I had my picture taken with her...that's what I like to think. At the end of the day my outfit probably wasn't ideal for the occasion but I made half of it myself and I love it. Creativity was part of what got me my good grades that got me into college and it was definitely something that's helped me make a few interesting friends since I started.

The tube dress is inherited from a friend, the green leggings were once nice tights that I cut the feet off of and distressed with a key! The shirt is one of my absolute favourites and belonged to my dad back in the '70s and is pure silk. This photo doesn't show it off all that well but the outfit is colourful but not over the top...apart from in this context where everyone else was dressed like my parents. I definitely recommend tying the shirt if like me you're broader in the shoulders because this is a man's shirt and absolutely swamps me otherwise! My final note on this outfit is that cons go with everything...even the leg cast.