Friday 6 June 2014

Theme Party!


So once again I am uploading a backlog because I had exams and since the exams finished I've been in rehearsals for a theatre festival. In the spirit of the theatrical my first post from my backlog is a costume one.  
My friend has a fairytale themed birthday party and I decided to opt for an unconventional gothic fairy tale - Tim Burton's corpse bride. It's simple to do but makes a big impact and it worked well with my blue hair

The outfit was pretty straight-forward, I would have liked to have made it more elaborate but I had a serious lack of time to get ready and out to the pub for the party. I used a plain white cotton summer dress from American Apparel as the base and covered it with a white silk mini dress/top that I made a few years before from and old camisole.
Rather than make it to elegant, I kept it short and suited it to my own style by combining it with my beloved white Docs so I was dressed up but still able to party!



Obviously the most complicated aspect was the make-up but again it was surprisingly straightforward to create a decent likeness to the character.. I used bright blue tights to cover my legs and painted my arms, neck and chest with blue facepaint, using a large paintbrush. I then used dark blue paint to suggest bones and especially ribs in my chest. 
The face was the most important, I covered it as evenly as possible then drew dark blue circles around the eyes to give the sense of large, round, deep eyes. Then I painted dramatic black brows with a curl at the front, using a picture from the film to help me. I also added exaggerated black lower lashes. I finished it with a  pink lip and a flower crown made from an old lay.